Skip to main content

RUMINATIONS ON FLYING BUSINESS CLASS

Undoubtedly one of the great signs of social comeuppance is the privilege of flying Business Class. We see a cross-section of Nepalese society from the old landed aristocracy to the arriveste class of the New Nepal, from the "banksters" to the republicans fighting for the deprived regularly flying business class. "Cattle class", as opined by none other than Shashi Tharoor the ex-UN man, now India's rising star, is how the hoi polloi fly - those unencumbered by fat bank balance, "source and force" or overarching social ambition.

Business Class to me conjures up images of roomy seating in half-empty cabins, discreet service by alluring air hostesses, the pop of a Champagne bottle uncorking, heavenly meal consisting of seafood hors d'oeuvre followed by succulent New Zealand lamb entrée. There is, of course, a choice of fine red or white accompanying and selected movies in personal screens to while away the flying time. Importantly there is this sublime feeling that one is different, privileged, a class apart from those taking up the rear. The Bostonian Brahmins were the cultured, long-established, upper-class families of New England of the 19th Century; in the social hierarchy of the time it was said that the leading family of the Cabots spoke to the Lodges, and the Lodges spoke only to God! Flying Business Class at above 30,000 feet is coming closest to having conversation with God.

I have had my share too. As a frequent flyer myself in the job of making others travel, I have crossed the proverbial seven seas flying Business Class often times, with KLM, Malaysia Airlines, and Thai Airways. But often times too it was in economy, a bummer, a nagging reminder of the sagging fortunes of the Nepalese travel industry. On a recent flight to China and back I observed the emerging New Nepal flying business while I flew economy. A well-known female lawyer was in the front as well as a motley crew of Ranas and Shahs. So too were a smattering of NGO and INGO types taking undue advantage of the trust bestowed upon them by their unknowing benefactors. I drew satisfaction as I sat in my seat: the next one was occupied by a pre-eminent business tycoon I knew, someone who had been the King's minister a few year's back. Was he saving money or was he saving himself from undue exposure? Flying in business can have its own attendant risks too!
But there are also the deserving. In one of my flights to Mumbai were Dev Anand, Waheeda Rehman and Shahrukh Khan, artists of the highest caliber who have entertained millions. Once sitting together with Udit Narayan Jha in another flight to Mumbai I could not but be impressed by his friendliness and humility, uncharacteristic trait in a Nepali who had it made bigtime in Bollywood replacing the likes of Mohamed Rafi and Mukesh! And the undeserving: in another flight there was a Nepali minister and his entire retinue flying in the front courtesy of sycophantic upgrading while others who could contribute to the coffers of the near bankrupt national carrier had to be content with economy seating.
Let us observe who will in future have conversations with God.

Comments

  1. Have you ever had the experience of being so inebriated in business class that the airline actually took you for questioning upon landing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching my memory, but it wasn't me! Who pray tell!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FEATHERS IN THE CROWN

As a kid I used to gape in wonderment at the magnificent crown my father possessed not knowing that the jewels were only for show. The dark green emerald drops were made of glass, the sparkling diamonds were probably zirconium and the pearls were not of the best sort. Every Rana general had his personal crown in those days and my father was no exception. I did not recognize the difference between this personal crown of father's and the other more valuable crown of the Nepalese Commander-in-Chief of the Army that my father was seen wearing in many a portrait displayed about the house. Little did I know that my father was the last person to put on his head the army chief's crown from the Rana era, real glittering diamonds, snow white pearls and thumb-sized emerald drops and all. The feather in the crown was the magnificent plumes of the Bird of Paradise that gave it such a majestic look. Nepal had only three crowns that were genuinely the real stuff bedecked with expensive pea

RANI MAHAL, THE STORY OF ITS MAKER

PROLOGUE Rani Mahal Palpa The first time I ever saw this historical edifice thirty five years ago, she was in ruins and looked like an old hag during the winter of her life, simply waiting for her eventual demise. I was then on my way further west on a week-long trek from Tansen to Tamghas in Gulmi District. Thirty five years later, I found myself at the same spot once again, this time out there on purpose. I had seen pictures of the building with a coat of new paint before and I wanted to see how much change had been made by the Nepal Government’s Department of Archeology.  Yes, the outer façade still looked brand new with fresh paints, which to me personally was a bit too gaudy. But when I walked through the inside of the building and saw nothing but empty rooms without even a single piece of furniture, my enthusiasm took a nose dive . And when I entered one room where there was a fireplace with the floor in front of the hearth still looking as black as charcoal, I assu

THE GLORIOUS UNCROWNING

T he 104 years of Rana Regime of Nepal reviled today as a monolithic juggernaut from without was anything but when viewed closely from within. The struggle for power within the family was as acute as those among the Roman emperors or Mughal rulers. Out of the nine Rana prime ministers only four died while in office, one was assassinated, two were prematurely ousted from office, the last one had to step down to give way to proto-democracy. Only one among the nine actually resigned voluntarily while in office. This is his story. Maharajah Juddha Shumsher So why did Maharajah Juddha Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana resign bucking the trend? Was it because he was afraid that he would be ousted like one of his predecessor Maharajah Dev Shumsher? Was he afraid that there was some nefarious plot to assassinate him like his uncle Maharajah Ranauddip Singh? When one makes a decision of such magnitude, there must have been multiple factors influencing him to come to such a decision. Had he not