Skip to main content

FORBIDDEN FRUIT

I remember the trees groaning under the weight of those ripened fruits so prized by my father. There were rows and rows of those trees lining a plot of land near our residence inside our estate Kiran Bhawan. Father had imported those saplings from the Middle East and managed to grow them - to us at the time a strange fruit uncommon to our palate. We grew up amidst plum and peach trees dotting our orchard. Mangoes used to come to us from several sources but chiefly from a mango grove in Thulitar in Sindhu Palchowk district of Nepal inherited by us under the birta system. We also had persimmon growing in our garden, a fruit not indigenous to Nepal but first imported from Japan by Maharajah Dev Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana at the turn of the twentieth century. We Nepalese call it 'haluwabed' alluding no doubt to its sweetness. Dev was impressed by the Meiji Restoration and the ascendancy of Japan as a great power and had sent Nepalese students to study science and agriculture, I suppose one of his liberal acts that ultimately proved his own undoing. What my father imported is fig called 'anjeer' in Nepali, my father's favourite fruit.


Fig
After he took retirement from the army my father General Kiran was always emphasizing to anyone who would listen that he was retired but not tired. Perhaps it was because he retired at a relatively young age of 40 from the post of army Commander-in-Chief. He started the golf club, the first Rotary Club and the International Club in the compound of the venerated Hotel Royal in the bungalow that is known today as the 1905 Restaurant. He dug a Olympics size pond behind our residence and bred carps for angling. But I suspect his triumphant moment came when the figs started to grow from the saplings he had planted with his own loving hands. Every evening he would visit the trees and make sure all was right. I was mighty curious how the fruits would look like and taste.

Figs were one of the first fruits humans cultivated in western Asia dating back to 4,000 B.C. Sub-fossils have been found dating back to even earlier times circa 9,000 B.C. in the Jordan Valley. They come in a wide variety of trees bearing edible fruits and I remember that the ones grown at home were green to light brown outside with red nectarine pulp inside when fully ripened. I remember when the fruits were plucked a white sap ran out of the stem. The fruits were carefully washed in water colored light purple by potassium permanganate to cleanse them of germs and then it was ready for the table. My father would personally distribute them to us for eating.

There was one particular fruit that was growing larger than average and my father was waiting patiently for it to ripen. I remember him remarking on its colour and texture and wondering why it was larger than most. One day I returned home from school and my father was agitated. He asked me if I had plucked his prize fruit. I vowed my innocence but I think I must have blushed more by the thought that father would suspect me of eating his prized fruit than because of actual guilt. I will never know whether he believed me or not.

I don't come across fresh fig fruits anymore in Nepal. Whenever I fly past the middle eastern air hubs, I always make it a point to buy some dried and sweetened figs. I will always remember them as the forbidden fruit grown by my father once upon a time in Kiran Bhawan.


Comments

  1. Very informative post. Thank you for keeping this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great story about the fig tree. And how nice that it brings back memories for you when you go to the Middle East. But did your dad ever find out who stole the fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it remained a mystery as to who ate that fruit.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing it is Very Informative page, I hope it will be useful for all of us. , Here you’ll find all the necessary points step by step for How to Care Kalanchoe Plant in Summer worth increasing the grace of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manohar sunar SiliguriSeptember 1, 2022 at 6:53 PM

    Wonderful content to know . Informative and important part of history, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FEATHERS IN THE CROWN

As a kid I used to gape in wonderment at the magnificent crown my father possessed not knowing that the jewels were only for show. The dark green emerald drops were made of glass, the sparkling diamonds were probably zirconium and the pearls were not of the best sort. Every Rana general had his personal crown in those days and my father was no exception. I did not recognize the difference between this personal crown of father's and the other more valuable crown of the Nepalese Commander-in-Chief of the Army that my father was seen wearing in many a portrait displayed about the house. Little did I know that my father was the last person to put on his head the army chief's crown from the Rana era, real glittering diamonds, snow white pearls and thumb-sized emerald drops and all. The feather in the crown was the magnificent plumes of the Bird of Paradise that gave it such a majestic look. Nepal had only three crowns that were genuinely the real stuff bedecked with expensive pea

RANI MAHAL, THE STORY OF ITS MAKER

PROLOGUE Rani Mahal Palpa The first time I ever saw this historical edifice thirty five years ago, she was in ruins and looked like an old hag during the winter of her life, simply waiting for her eventual demise. I was then on my way further west on a week-long trek from Tansen to Tamghas in Gulmi District. Thirty five years later, I found myself at the same spot once again, this time out there on purpose. I had seen pictures of the building with a coat of new paint before and I wanted to see how much change had been made by the Nepal Government’s Department of Archeology.  Yes, the outer façade still looked brand new with fresh paints, which to me personally was a bit too gaudy. But when I walked through the inside of the building and saw nothing but empty rooms without even a single piece of furniture, my enthusiasm took a nose dive . And when I entered one room where there was a fireplace with the floor in front of the hearth still looking as black as charcoal, I assu

THE GLORIOUS UNCROWNING

T he 104 years of Rana Regime of Nepal reviled today as a monolithic juggernaut from without was anything but when viewed closely from within. The struggle for power within the family was as acute as those among the Roman emperors or Mughal rulers. Out of the nine Rana prime ministers only four died while in office, one was assassinated, two were prematurely ousted from office, the last one had to step down to give way to proto-democracy. Only one among the nine actually resigned voluntarily while in office. This is his story. Maharajah Juddha Shumsher So why did Maharajah Juddha Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana resign bucking the trend? Was it because he was afraid that he would be ousted like one of his predecessor Maharajah Dev Shumsher? Was he afraid that there was some nefarious plot to assassinate him like his uncle Maharajah Ranauddip Singh? When one makes a decision of such magnitude, there must have been multiple factors influencing him to come to such a decision. Had he not